Risk Management

Guidelines for Events Involving Animals on Campus

Periodic Fire & Safety Inspections

In addition to internal fire & safety inspections conducted by University Fire Protection and Environmental Health & Safety, fire and loss Control inspections may also be periodically conducted by the North Carolina Department of Insurance inspectors and other insurers. The main emphases are on (1) life safety and (2) property loss control.

Insurance & Risk Management (IRM), in collaboration with Fire Protection, coordinates with these inspectors in conducting inspections related to property insurance. IRM will consult with Fire Protection, Environmental Health & Safety, and the Facilities Division on compliance and response to inspection findings.

Examples of findings during insurance inspections:

  1. Improper use of extension cords and power strips.
  2. Overloading existing electrical circuits.
  3. Improper storage of flammables and chemicals.
  4. Chocked and inoperable fire door assemblies.
  5. Storage and obstructions in corridors as part of exit egress.
  6. Improper electrical wiring modifications by unlicensed persons.
  7. Combustible storage in mechanical rooms and boxes in front of electrical panels.
  8. Unattended or improvised appliances, such as space heaters and cooking sources.
  9. Excessive storage of papers, boxes, and other combustibles.
  10. Improper use of hardware and deadbolt locks on exit doors.

Support Loss Prevention and Loss Control at NCSU

It takes everyone working as a team to eliminate fire and other property loss hazards at our university. Everyone should be a risk manager and help eliminate hazards. Where needed, please do not hesitate to contact our Environmental Health and Public Safety resources (Fire Protection, EH & S, IRM and Campus Police). There is also the Safety Hotline at 919-515-5445 for non-emergencies. For emergencies, as always, dial 911.

Motor Vehicle Risk Management Recommendations


Managing motor vehicle risks, such as liability exposures, are a responsibility shared by both management and employees. The extensive use and number of university-owned motor vehicles represent one of the largest risk and loss exposures to our institution. Bodily injury, property damage, and lost productivity may result as a consequence of motor vehicle accidents. The following risk management suggestions are offered to reduce the incidence and severity of these accidents:

Verify Driver’s Operator License

Each department should verify periodically that all employees who drive a university vehicle have a valid driver’s license. It is important that the license be valid for the type of vehicle driven (e.g. Commercial licenses vary by class according to Gross Vehicle Weight [GVW]).

Only Permit Authorized Employees to Operate University-Owned Vehicles

University vehicles are state-owned. According to the state rules and guidelines, only university employees (i.e. employees who receive a university payroll check for university wages and salary) are authorized to drive university vehicles. University vehicles should be used solely for official state and university business.

Drivers authorized to use university vehicles:

  • University employees who receive a university payroll check for wages/salary.
  • Students employed by the university and receive a university payroll check, but only during the performance of official state and university business.
  • Federal employees contracted to work with the university on state business (such as USDA, USDI, USAF, and USN staff) may be allowed to operate a university vehicle only if and when a federal vehicle is unavailable from the federal motor pool and only until such time as a federal vehicle becomes available for their use.
  • Visiting lecturers, scholars, scientists, and professors (with or without appointments), as well as adjunct and emeritus professors, may drive state vehicles only if they are currently employed by the university and receive a university payroll check.

Drivers NOT authorized to use university vehicles:

  • Employees not receiving a university payroll check or who are not using the vehicle in the performance of their official duties.
  • Students, such as those on scholarship or fellowship, who are not employed by the university.
  • Volunteers or any other university personnel who do not receive a university payroll check.

Contact Insurance & Risk Management (IRM) if there are additional questions.

Follow State Vehicle Usage Guidelines

Refer to Motor Fleet Management Regulations Manual (page 16)to determine if passengers are allowed to ride in university state-owned vehicles.

Review Driver’s Handbook

Employees should review the North Carolina DMV Driver’s Study Guide to maintain familiarity and understanding of North Carolina motor vehicle laws.

Ensure Vehicle Maintenance

Each department should ensure that an individual vehicle is being maintained, including condition of signal lights, brakes, tires, windshields, and mirrors. The department should keep records of maintenance, service, and inspections.

Learn 15-Seat Passenger Van Safety

There have been recent concerns over the safety of operating these types of vans. Some key considerations are using experienced drivers and “avoiding loading passengers, baggage, or cargo to the rear of the back axle.” Remember, driver and all passengers should buckle up! Refer to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) “Tips for Safe Travel in 15-Passenger Vans”.

The university provides an online 15-Passenger Van Training Course and Quiz for your convenience.

Follow Proper Backing Up and Parking Techniques

The most frequent types of vehicle accidents and claims reported to IRM are low-speed incidents in parking lots and congested roadways. Improper backing up and parking manoeuvers are the most frequent driving behaviors that result in accidents on our campus. Take extra time to make sure that your travel path is clear and safe before you back out of a space. Don’t forget the turning radius of your front wheels when backing up!

Report Any Accident Immediately

It is important that all accidents involving university vehicles are reported to Insurance and Risk Management by noon of the next business day. The Accident Reporting Form must be completed and provided with your initial accident reporting. Don’t underestimate claim severity.

Meet All Insurance Requirements and Report All Vehicle Information Promptly to IRM

NC Statute (GS §58-194.1) requires that all state-owned, self-propelled motorized vehicles carry liability insurance. It is the responsibility of each department to report newly acquired vehicles to IRM, and to purchase motor vehicle liability insurance through IRM. Each department may choose whether to carry collision and comprehensive coverage in addition to liability coverage.